Funding for home care

You will not be entitled to help with the cost of care from your local council if: 

  • you have savings of more than £23,250 
  • you own your own property (this only applies if you're moving into a care home) 

You can ask your council for a financial assessment (means test) to check if you qualify for any help with costs. 

You can choose to pay for care yourself if you don't wish to undertake a financial assessment. Please see the link below:

How to arrange your care as a self-funder

You can: 

  • arrange and pay for care yourself without involving the council 
  • ask your council to arrange and pay for your care, for which the council will then re-charge you. (Not all councils offer this service however, and those that do may charge a fee.) 

Find out what care you need

Even if you choose to pay for your care, you can request that your council carry out an assessment to advise you on what level of care you might need. This is called a needs assessment. This service is free. 

The assessment will advise on matters such as the type and extent of care that you should be looking for, whether home help from a paid carer for a couple hours or days a week would suffice, or whether a live-in carer would be the best option. 

How much will care cost?

The cost of live-in care is very much dependent on individual needs and circumstances. Live-in care for couples costs only a fraction more than 24-hour care for one person, and there are a number of funding options available to assist with covering the costs.  

Please call us today on 0330 1330 235 to find out how we can support you and to receive a personalised quotation. You can also request a call-back. 

To learn more about how you can get help with funding for live-in care, click here. 

Paying for carers at home

Having a carer who lives with you (live-in care) costs from around £900 a week. This can rise to £1,600 a week if a more complex care package is required.

Benefits can help with care costs

You may be eligible for benefits, like Attendance Allowance and Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which aren't means-tested. Please visit the link below:

Can I avoid selling my home?

You won't have to sell your home to pay for help in your own home.

Releasing money from your home (equity release)

Equity release lets you to obtain an income stream or cash lump sum which is secured against your property while enabling you to retain the use of it. This facility is available if you are over 55. 

You will have to pay interest on the money released and of course the lender will have to be paid back. Interest rates on such loans are typically higher than on most standard mortgages. 

The Money Advice Service has more information on equity release.

Renting out your home

You can rent out your home or part of it and use the income to help pay your home care fees.

A deferred payment scheme

A deferred payment scheme can be useful if money is tied up in your property. 

Under such schemes, the council pays for your home care and this is repaid later, either when you choose to sell your home or after your death. 

Ask your council if you are eligible for a deferred payment scheme. 

You can get more information from:

Get expert financial help

You can receive unbiased expert advice from a specialist care fees adviser. 

They will help you compare all your options before you decide what is right for you. 

Find a specialist care fees adviser in your area with: 

Telephone help

Get advice on paying for care from:

If your savings run out

If your savings fall below £23,250, your council might be able to help with the cost of care. 

Contact your local council about 3 months before you think your savings will drop to below £23,250, and ask them to reassess your finances. 

Councils provide funding from the date you contact them. You won't be reimbursed if your savings are less than £23,250 before you contact them. 

What you can get for free

There may be free help available regardless of your income or if you are paying for your care. 

This can include: 

Read more about care and support you can get for free.

Scroll to Top